The US subways with the biggest revenue gaps – 24/7 Wall St.



Special report

The United States has some the highest levels of income and wealth inequality in the world. US Federal Reserve data shows richest 10% of Americans control $ 93.8 trillionn, more than double the $ 40.3 trillion in the hands of the remaining 90 percent of Americans.

The gap between income and wealth only seems to be widening. A January 2020 report released by the Pew Research Center found that over the past four decades, revenue growth for top 5% of famillions of dollars per income far exceeded the income growth of families in lower income strata.

Income inequality varies widely across the United States, and in some cities the problem is much more pronounced.

Using data from the 2019 American Community Survey from the US Census Bureau, 24/7 Wall St. identified the 50 U.S. metropolitan areas with the largest income gaps. Metropolitan areas are ranked by their Gini coefficient, a measure of income inequality based on the distribution of income in a population on a scale of 0 to 1 – 0 representing perfect equality and 1 representing the lowest level of inequality. higher possible.

Among the metropolitan areas on this list, Gini scores reach 0.541, well above the national Gini coefficient of 0.481. The majority of the metropolitan areas on this list are located in the south, including six in Louisiana and five in Florida and Georgia.

The causes of the rise in inequalities are complex and varied. A published report speak The National Bureau of Economic Research links the growing disparity to a range of economic factors, including globalization, technological advances, a stagnant minimum wage and the decline of unions.

Click here to see the American metro with the biggest income gaps
Click here to read our detailed methodology


Previous Read This Week: Why Chinese Developers' Offshore Bonds Are So Cheap
Next Punjab horror: 17-year-old boy kills his grandparents over property dispute in the town of Samrala in Ludhiana